Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Objective of the project :
Learning "How To Learn" the fun way.

Purpose of the project :
To engage player(s) in a lively visual game that encapsulates the essential techniques & approaches to learning.

==================================================================

Let's Go On A Learning Journey using the Board Game of "Snakes & Ladders".

Simple rules to start with :
(1) 1 or more players.
(2) Each will take turn to throw a dice or a virtual dice.  You will proceed to enter the board game starting from square 1 and going forward based on the number shown in the dice.  
(3) Each player will take take turns to throw a dice.
(4) The player who is the first to reach square 100 is the winner.
(5) Depending on the the square at which the player pit-stops at, he/she can go up the ladder or down the snake.  The reasons for the ups and downs will be given in Part 2 of the submission.  

References & adaptations used in this project :
(1) Materials from MOOC "Learning How to Learn";
(2) Version of snake&ladder adopted from http://www.jedediahbaker.com/blog/snakes-ladders-a-morality-tale/;
(3) Virtual dice taken from http://dice.virtuworld.net/


Afterthoughts :
Getting started on this assignment/ project was not easy. Just the thought of submitting yet another assignment put me off.  It was such a pain! {Notice the cue to my good old zombie mode friend – procrastination} However, I knew if I did not start early, I wouldn't be able to produce a decent piece of work in time for submission. {I seriously need to take charge of my own learnings.}

I wanted something that would be fun for both my peers (who will be evaulating my work) and I to work on. A board game of Snake & Ladder, familiar to all, would be a great idea! I need a version that I can fit in the course contents. And the pictorial representation of this verison of the Snake & Ladder serves my purpose perfectly. {Creating lively visuals to enhance learning} In the process of matching the pictures to the course materials, I was alternating between diffused and focused modes of thinking to fish out chunks of information. {Chunking}

Believe it or not, I was actually enjoying myself throughout the entire process. I didn't even realise I was working on it for hours. Though I have the final product (i.e. The completed assignment) here, the process, to my surprise, was the most rewarding of all. {Process vs Product}

I had have fun and I hope you would share my sentiments while reviewing my work!

No comments:

Post a Comment